Friday, January 24, 2014

Friday, January 24


TRIUMPH OVER PAIN
1 JOHN 3:3
“You will be secure, because there is hope;”
Job 11:18

Edith Zirer is a Jewish woman who lives in the outskirts of Haifa. She recounts how she was liberated from a concentration camp when she was thirteen.  She had spent three years of her life there. It was a cold morning in the winter of 1945, two days after Liberation, and she tells us: “I arrived at a small train station near Krakow, and went into a corner of a large room filled with dozens of fugitives, still wearing the striped clothing of the death camps. He saw me, a young man of barely 25 years of age, and approached with a large cup of tea, the first hot drink I’d tasted in several weeks.  Afterwards he brought me a piece of exquisite cheese, with black bread.  I didn’t want to eat, but he made me. Later he told me that I needed to be able to walk in order to be able to climb up on the train. I tried, but I fell to the ground; then he picked me up in his arms and carried me over his shoulders as the snow was falling. In a calm voice he told me about the death of his parents and his brother in the concentration camp, and that he, too, was suffering, but that we must not allow ourselves to be defeated by pain…His name was forever engraved in my memory: Karl Wojtyla. Today I would like to thank him from the deepest part of my heart.”

What a marvelous story!  If anyone does not recognize the name, it is Pope John Paul II.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for the abundant life that you allow us to live in the hope of eternity. Amen.

VENCER EL DOLOR
1 JUAN 3:3
“Tendrás confianza, porque hay esperanza”
Job 11:18
Edith Zirer es una mujer judía, que vive en las afueras de Jaifa. Ella cuenta cómo fue liberada del campo de concentración cuando tenía trece años. Había pasado allí tres años de su vida. Era una fría mañana de invierno de 1945, dos días después de la liberación, y nos narra: “Llegue a una pequeña estación  ferroviaria cerca de Cracovia, me eché en un rincón de una gran sala donde habían decenas de prófugos, todavía con el traje de rayas de los campos de exterminio. Él me vio, era un joven de escasamente 25 años de edad, vino con una gran taza de te, la primera bebida caliente que probaba en varias semanas. Después me trajo un  bocadillo de queso exquisito, con pan negro. Yo no quería comer, me obligó.  Luego me dijo que tenía que caminar para poder subir al tren. Lo intenté, pero me caí al suelo; entonces me tomó en sus brazos y me llevó a cuestas mientras caía la nieve. Con voz tranquila me contaba la muerte de sus padres y de su hermano en el campo de concentración y que él también sufría, pero que era necesario no dejarse vencer por el dolor... Su nombre quedó grabado para siempre en mi memoria: Karl Wojtyla. Quisiera hoy darle las gracias desde lo más profundo de mi corazón” 
¡Qué maravillosa historia! Por si algunos no saben quien es él, se trata del Papa Juan Pablo II

Oración: Señor Jesús, gracias por la vida abundante que tú nos permites vivir en la esperanza de la eternidad. Amén.

No comments:

Post a Comment