Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tuesday, October 7 I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS JOHN 6:60-71


Tuesday, October 7

I DON’T KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS

 

JOHN 6:60-71

“On hearing it, many of his disciples said, ‘this is a hard teaching.  Who can accept it?’”

 

John 6:60.

 

I’m scared.  I don’t know if I can do this.” Sometimes the words change, but the feeling is the same in those persons who try to recover from an addiction, be it to alcohol, to drugs or to anything else.  The feeling of fear invades them when they see the task before them; the initial reaction is always one of immense grief. Their doubts and fears are understandable.  Those who are trying to recover from an addiction are often told not to worry, that they only need to change one thing:  everything.  Later in their recovery, they see it as an ironic joke, but at the beginning it can be paralyzing.

 

Really, who among us can or wants to change everything?  It is not surprising that the statistics for success in recovery are so low (particularly at the first try.)

 

At the beginning of my rehabilitation,  someone said that only two people in my group would be able to do it. I thought that I would be one of them.  One day, I was complaining about how difficult it is to change old habits.  And someone with many more years of recovery than I looked at me, smiled and said:  “Son, if it were easy, everyone would be able to do it.”

 

Prayer: Lord, help us to encourage those who have the guts to enter into rehabilitation. Amen.

 

NO SÉ SI LO PODRÉ HACER

 

JUAN  6: 60-71

“Al escucharlo, muchos de sus discípulos exclamaron: “Esta enseñanza es muy difícil; ¿quién puede aceptarla?”

 

Juan 6:60.

 

Estoy asustado. No estoy seguro de poder hacer esto”. Las palabras a veces cambian,  pero el sentimiento se mantiene invariable en aquellas personas que intentan rehabilitarse de una adicción, ya sea al alcohol, a las drogas u otra cualquiera.  El sentimiento de temor los invade al ver la tarea que tienen por delante, la reacción inicial siempre es de inmensa pesadumbre.

Sus dudas y temores son comprensibles. A menudo se le dice a quien intenta recuperarse que no se preocupe, que sólo tiene que cambiar una cosa: todo. Más tarde en su recuperación, lo ven como una broma irónica, pero al principio puede ser paralizante.

Realmente, ¿quién de nosotros puede o quiere cambiarlo todo? No es sorprendente que las estadísticas de recuperación sean tan bajas (al menos al primer intento).

Al comenzar mi rehabilitación, alguien dijo que sólo dos en mi grupo lo conseguirían. Pensaba que sería uno de ellos. Un día, me quejaba de lo difícil que es cambiar los viejos hábitos. Y alguien con muchos más años que yo en este proceso me miró, sonrió y dijo: “Hijo, si fuera fácil, todo el mundo lo conseguiría”.

Oración: Señor, ayúdanos a acompañar a los que se atreven a entrar en rehabilitación. Amén.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment