Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Prayer by Francisco René Castellanos Morente, 1914-2012

                               Prayer                     translation by John Walter 3/26/2015
              Forgive my inconsistency,
               forget my transgression,
         give peace to my anguished spirit.
                Mercy, mercy my God,
     beloved Father, mercy for your servant!

             What wandering ambition,
           aimless drifting what delusion,
                  to search the world
                for the limpid current
    that could quench my consuming desire…

            I have found the pure source,
     unequaled consolation constant delight;
             rich abundant water of life,
                 a never failing spring
                    for the traveler

                     and drinking of it
       my soul was filled shivering with joy;
         when gladly I took the good way
                my harmony returned,
                 now pain is no more.

         Yes! Again lacking sound reason
                 I abandoned the way,
      forgetting you your kindness; and
              beset by harsh tempests
       am dragged into wicked darkness.

                   But today I revive,
   Seeking afresh the perished peace in you;
           to you I surrender my heart,
              for again I want life, that
    my soul may feel love’s overflowing joy.

                  The night is serene,
          the wind blows gently calmly,
        murmuring among the branches; I
               feel my soul contented,

          my thought rests in the Lord.

Oración
  
Piedad, piedad, Dios mío,
piedad para tu siervo, Padre amado,
perdona mi desvío,
olvida mi pecado,
da la paz a mi espíritu angustiado.

Cual sediento errabundo,
vagaba sin sentido cual demente,
buscando por el mundo
la límpida corriente
que pudiera calmar mi sed ardiente,

y hallé la fuente pura
de agua de vida rica y abundante,
fuente que siempre dura,
que ofrece al caminante
consuelo sin igual, dicha constante.


  




Bebiendo en ella mi alma
sintióse estremecer de gozo llena
y vino ya mi calma,
pues que cesó mi pena
cuando feliz marché por senda buena.



Después dejé el camino
y olvidado de ti, de tus bondades,
otra vez ya, sin tino,
las recias tempestades
me arrastraron a simas de maldades.

.





Mas hoy de nuevo llego
buscando en ti Señor la paz perdida;
mi corazón te entrego
otra vez quiero vida;
mi alma sienta de amor gozar henchida


La noche está serena;
sosegado, tranquilo sopla el viento
y en el ramaje suena;
feliz el alma siento:
descansa en el Señor mi pensamiento.


(Francisco René Castellanos Morente, 1914-2012)



No comments:

Post a Comment