Saturday, September 26, 2015

Saturday, September 26 MY HIGH REFUGE Psalm 143

Saturday, September 26
MY HIGH REFUGE
Psalm 143

“My Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer,
my God, my rock in whom I take refuge.”
Psalm 18:2

This psalm was written at the time when David found himself pursued, fleeing from cave to cave, rock to rock, and he expresses his trust in God as his sole refuge. During those moments he couldn’t count on practically any human help, because even his faithful friends like Jonathan couldn’t do much for him, not being able to facilitate his escape. The situation was extremely difficult and dangerous.

This psalm expresses the trust the psalmist had, the memory of the help received in the past; since one of the things that helps us live is the experience received from God during the journey that we’re already engaged in, and knowing through it that he doesn’t abandon us at the most critical hour: “When I evoke bygone days…and I think about all that you have done, I raise my hands towards you.”

David doesn’t pretend that his desperate situation lacks importance, but he isn’t totally absorbed by it; he knows that the same God – and through his “good name” - would not allow the injustice he was suffering to be committed.  

Prayer:  Lord, I trust in you, make me know the way where I am going. Amen 

Translated by John Walter
MI ALTO REFUGIO
Salmo 143

“Mi Señor y Dios… tú eres mi fuerza y mi escudo,
mi poderosa salvación, mi alto refugio”
Salmo 18:2

Este salmo fue escrito en tiempos en que David se encontraba perseguido, huyendo de cueva en cueva y de roca en roca, y expresa su confianza en Dios como único refugio para él. En aquellos momentos no podía contar prácticamente con ninguna ayuda humana, porque aun sus fieles amigos, como Jonatán, poco podían hacer por él, de no ser, facilitarle la huida. De manera que la situación era extremadamente difícil y peligrosa.
Este salmo expresa la confianza que el salmista tenía: el recuerdo de la ayuda recibida en el pasado, pues una de las cosas que nos ayudan a vivir es la experiencia recibida de Dios durante el camino que ya llevamos andando, y saber, por ella, que él no nos abandona en los momentos más críticos: “cuando evoco los días de antaño… y pienso en todo lo que has hecho, elevo mis manos hacia ti”.
David no pretende que su desesperante situación carezca de importancia, pero no está totalmente absorbido por ella. Sabe que el mismo Dios y por su "buen nombre" no permitiría que se cometiera la injusticia que estaba sufriendo.


Oración: Señor, en ti confío, hazme saber el camino por donde ande. Amén.



No comments:

Post a Comment