Thursday, September 15, 2016

Thursday, September 15 STANDING FIRMLY IN FREEDOM GALATIANS 5:1-15

Thursday, September 15
STANDING FIRMLY IN FREEDOM
GALATIANs 5:1-15

Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
Galatians 5:1

Being free in Christ is a great challenge that we should assume with dignity and maturity. In particular, I remember that when I was a student, as a Presbyterian and reformed I would strike up large debates with young Christians from other denominations. They asserted that those in my Church were too liberal to become saints. My four arguments were clear and simple at the time and remain so today: we do not pretend to be what we are not (we are the youngest within and outside of the Church); we follow Christ out of love and not out of fear of going to hell; we believe in the sanctification of life and not in saintliness as an accomplished act; least of all do we believe in sanctimoniousness.

And I would tell them that we experience these four reasons in absolute freedom because “we have been called to be free” and “where the Spirit of God dwells, there is freedom”.  Of course my reasons were refuted and broadsided by biblical passages and theological arguments by those who tried to immerse me in a deep feeling of guilt. Nevertheless, in spite of all that I learned from them, I never lost the compass of my ecclesial, biblical and theological identity.  I have remained in my Church, serving God.  I have heard that many of those envious guardians of the “holy doctrine” are not active in any church today. I pray that they may return to the flock and learn to handle their freedom in Christ.


Prayer: Gracious God, grant that I recognize which is your path of righteousness and wisdom. Thank you for the freedom that you have given me to follow you. Amen.

Translation by Elisa Menocal


Firmes en la libertad
Gálatas 5:1-15

Estad, pues, firmes en la libertad con que Cristo nos hizo libres
y no estéis otra vez sujetos al yugo de esclavitud.
Gálatas 5:1

Ser libres en Cristo es un gran reto que debemos asumir con dignidad y madurez. En particular recuerdo en mi etapa de estudiante cómo por ser presbiteriano y reformado entablaba amplios debates con jóvenes cristianos de otras denominaciones que afirmaban que yo, y los de mi Iglesia, éramos demasiado liberales para ser santos. Mis cuatro argumentos eran claros y sencillos en aquel momento y también los son hoy: no pretendemos aparentar lo que no somos (somos los mismos jóvenes dentro y fuera de la Iglesia); seguimos a Cristo por amor y no por miedo a ir al infierno; creemos en la santificación de la vida y no en la santidad como un hecho terminado, mucho menos en la santurronería. Y estas cuatro razones, les decía, las vivimos en absoluta libertad porque “a libertad hemos sido llamados” y “donde mora el Espíritu de Dios allí hay libertad”. Por supuesto que mis razones eran refutadas con andanadas de textos bíblicos y argumentos teológicos con los que pretendían sumirme en un profundo sentido de culpa. Sin embargo, a pesar de que aprendí mucho de aquellos, nunca perdí el norte de mi identidad eclesial, bíblica y teológica. Hoy día continúo en mi Iglesia, sirviendo a Dios. He sabido que muchos de aquellos celosos guardianes de la “sana doctrina” hoy ni siquiera militan en una Iglesia. Oro por ellos para que regresen al redil y aprendan a manejar su libertad en Cristo.


Oración: Dios bueno, permíteme reconocer cuál es tu camino, recto y sabio. Gracias por la libertad que me concedes para seguirte. Amén.

No comments:

Post a Comment