Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Tuesday, May 16 TAKE TIME TO LISTEN 1 SAMUEL 3:1-10

Tuesday, May 16
TAKE TIME TO LISTEN
1 SAMUEL 3:1-10

Then Samuel said, “Speak, your servant is listening.”

1 Samuel 3:10

For many years my prayers were a one-way conversation. I gave thanks, confessed, blessed and asked, but I didn’t listen. Nevertheless, after I came upon an old form of praying with the Bible, my prayer life changed. I read a Bible passage, meditate upon its relation to my life, and I respond to the passage with a prayer. At times my response to what I’ve read is to give thanks for the work of God in my life and in the world. The petitions to God are filtered through the understanding acquired while reading the Bible.

I felt something was missing in my prayer time until I stopped speaking and sat in silence, at times with eyes closed. In the same way that I clean my house for visitors, I erase from my mind the thoughts that distract me from preparing myself to receive God. This is the time of the Lord.  Like Samuel, I wait with great anticipation. Peace prevails while I rest in the presence of God. God speaks to us when we take time to listen. Every one of us can have a two-way conversation which strengthens our relationship with God.

Prayer: Oh God, forgive us for being too busy to allow you to speak to us. Teach us to listen to your voice. Amen. 

Translation by John Walter

TOMAR TIEMPO PARA ESCUCHAR
1 SAMUEL 3:1-10

Entonces Samuel dijo: Habla, que tu siervo escucha

1 Samuel 3:10

Por muchos años mis oraciones fueron una conversación en una sola dirección. Daba gracias, confesaba, bendecía y pedía. Pero no escuchaba. Sin embargo, después que conocí una antigua forma de orar con la Biblia, mi vida de oración cambió. Leo un pasaje bíblico, medito en su relación con mi vida y respondo al pasaje con una oración. A veces mi respuesta a lo que he leído es dar gracias  por la obra de Dios en mi vida y en el mundo. Las peticiones a Dios son filtradas a través del conocimiento adquirido  al leer la Biblia.

Siento que algo falta en mi tiempo de oración hasta que dejo de hablar y me siento en silencio, a menudo con los ojos cerrados. Así como limpio mi casa para las visitas, elimino de mi mente los pensamientos que me distraen para prepararme para recibir a Dios. Este es el tiempo del Señor. Como Samuel, espero con gran expectativa. La paz prevalece mientras descanso en la presencia de Dios. Dios nos habla cuando tomamos tiempo para escuchar. Cada uno de nosotros puede tener una conversación en dos direcciones que fortalecerá nuestra relación con  Dios.



Oración: Oh Dios, perdónanos por estar demasiado ocupados para dejar que nos hables. Enséñanos a escuchar tu voz. Amén.

No comments:

Post a Comment