Thursday, February 15, 2018

Thursday, February 15 THE TRAVELER’S PRAYER Psalm 121: 1-8

Thursday, February 15

THE TRAVELER’S PRAYER
PSALM 121: 1-8

The Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and for evermore. (NIV)
Psalm 121:8





Psalm 121 begins with an invocation and with the request of being heard. It’s a call to turn to the place of encounter with God, to place our trust in the Lord, to draw near to God in a spirit of sacrifice, in consecration, confession, communion and trust. 

My mother has a friend, who when I arrived from or left for the university, always asked if I had prayed the traveler’s prayer. One day I asked, “Auntie, what is the traveler’s prayer?” and she said it was Psalm 121 and commented upon how this Psalm gave one the security that God was accompanying us in our travels.

On reading it during my next trip I was surprised, and at the same time astounded, at how those words were so effective for traveling. Since that moment every time I travel I say Psalm 121, and although I don’t know it by heart I remember its essence. 

Although not Christian, my mother appeals to God with great faith through this Psalm in each one of her travels. We both ask that God keep us safe in our comings and goings.

Prayer:  Giver of life, may we, whenever we travel, draw inspiration from this or another Psalm, and may we always put our trust and safety in you. Amen.

Translation by John Walter


LA ORACIÓN DEL VIAJERO
SALMO 121: 1-8

El Señor guardará tu salida y tu entrada
desde ahora y para siempre
Salmo 121:8

El salmo 121 comienza con una invocación y con la petición de ser oído. Es un llamado a acudir al lugar de encuentro con Dios, a depositar nuestra confianza en el Señor, a acercarnos a Dios en un espíritu de sacrificio, en consagración, confesión, comunión y confianza.

Mi madre tiene una amiga, que siempre que yo llegaba o salía de viaje para la universidad, me preguntaba si ya había orado la oración del viajero. Un día le pregunté, tía: ¿Qué es la oración del viajero? Y me dijo que era el Salmo 121, me comentó sobre cómo este Salmo le daba la seguridad de que Dios le acompañaba en sus viajes. Al leerlo en mi próximo viaje, quedé sorprendida y a la vez maravillada de como aquellas palabras eran tan efectivas para viajar. Desde ese momento cada vez que viajo digo el Salmo 121 y aunque no lo sé de memoria, recuerdo su esencia.

Mi madre, aunque no es cristiana, le pide a Dios con mucha fe, a través de este Salmo, en cada uno de sus viajes. Ambas pedimos que Dios nos guarde en nuestras entradas y salidas.

Oración: Dador de vida, permite que siempre que viajemos, podamos inspirarnos en este u otro Salmo, y que siempre podamos depositar nuestra confianza y seguridad en ti. Amén.


No comments:

Post a Comment