Sunday, September 8, 2019

Sunday, September 8 CAN WE PREACH? 1 PETER 2:9


Sunday, September 8
CAN WE PREACH?
1 PETER 2:9

 . . .proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you
out of darkness into his marvelous light.
1 Peter 2:9 (NRSV)
            I am a deacon in a small congregation. It’s customary for the deacons to lead worship and on occasion to preach. One Sunday while our pastor and many other members of the church were enjoying their well-earned vacations, I preached. I had never preached a sermon. I was surprised at how long it took me to prepare. I spent weeks preparing a sermon of about twenty minutes. In preparing it, I felt the weight of the responsibility implied in preaching. I was meticulously searching for every word. I was overwhelmed. Was what I was saying worthwhile? Meanwhile I struggled with what confronted me in the text for the day (1 Peter 2:9). The only thing I needed to do was to speak of the wonders of God.
            I feel that God’s guiding hand is with all the people who are in the pulpit, or who stand in front of other people in communities, churches, on the sidewalks of the streets, in small groups, or wherever. It is the privilege of all believers to pray for people who must proclaim the Good News, that they receive wisdom, strength, and the direction of God. These people need our prayers.

Prayer: Beloved God, bless those who proclaim your word so that those around them can receive the grace to come to you. We pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Translation by John Potter


¿PODEMOS PREDICAR?
1 PEDRO 2:9

¡Anunciad! Las virtudes de aquel que os llamó
de las tinieblas a su luz admirable
1 Pedro 2:9

Soy diácono en una pequeña Iglesia. Se acostumbra a que los diáconos dirijan los servicios y en ocasiones prediquen. Un domingo, mientras nuestro pastor y muchos otros miembros más disfrutaban de sus bien merecidas vacaciones, yo prediqué. Nunca había preparado un sermón: me sorprendí de lo mucho que me tomó hacerlo. Pasé semanas preparando un sermón de casi veinte minutos. Al prepararlo, sentí el peso de la responsabilidad que implica el predicar. Estuve buscando meticulosamente cada palabra, me sentía abrumado. ¿Valía la pena lo que decía? Mientras luchaba con esto me encontré con el texto en el que se basa la meditación de hoy (1 Pedro 2:9). Lo único que debía hacer era hablar de las maravillas de Dios.

Siento que la mano guiadora de Dios está con todas las personas que están ante el púlpito o que se paran frente a otras personas en las comunidades, iglesias, en las aceras de las calles, en pequeños grupos y en donde sea. Es privilegio de todos los creyentes el orar pidiendo que las personas que han de llevar las Buenas Nuevas reciban sabiduría, la fortaleza y la dirección de Dios. Estas personas necesitan nuestras oraciones.

Oración: Amado Dios, bendice a quienes proclaman tu palabra para que quienes los rodean pueden recibir la gracia que viene de ti. En el nombre de Jesús. Amén.


No comments:

Post a Comment