Thursday, November 7, 2019

Thursday, November 7 IF YOU FALL, GET UP! PROVERBS 24:16-18


Thursday, November 7
IF YOU FALL, GET UP!
PROVERBS 24:16-18

for though they fall seven times, they will rise again
Proverbs 24:16a (NRSV)
            I still remember the first time that my older brother taught me to ride a bicycle. That day, I had gotten up at six in the morning in order to learn to ride. My brother began to push me, to run along with me giving me the security that nothing was going to happen. We made several laps, each time giving me more practice. In one of them, without my noticing, my brother let go. I pedaled several meters before realizing that I was alone. When I realized, I lost my balance and fell to the sidewalk.
            It was my first fall on the bicycle, one which I never forgot. But my desire to ride made me try many more times. Although I fell on innumerable occasions, I always enjoyed my bicycle; it was my companion all through my childhood and youth. I ask myself what would have happened if the first time that I fell, I had decided not to try again. My life wouldn’t have been the same.
            We will face different falls with painful moments that will make us want to not try again. And the pain of some falls is so deep that our mind often prevents us from trying again.
            If you have experienced hard, painful falls, and you believe that it isn’t worth trying again for fear of hurting yourself, I say, “Get up! Try again! Fall many times, you’ll get hit, it will hurt. But get up as many times as is necessary, because God won’t leave you alone.”

Prayer: Father, thank you for your constant care, for your demonstrations of love for us. Today, we ask you to stay by our side through every wrong step we take and help us to get up. Amen.

Translation by John Potter


SI CAES, LEVÁNTATE
PROVERBIOS 24:16-18

Porque siete veces cae el justo, y vuelve a levantarse…
Proverbios 24:16a

Aun recuerdo la primera vez que mi hermano mayor me enseñó a montar bicicleta. Yo me había levantado a las seis de la mañana de ese día para aprender a montarla. Mi hermano comenzó a impulsarme, a correr a la par mía dándome la seguridad de que no me pasaría nada. Dimos varias vueltas y cada vez iba tomando más práctica. En una de esas, sin percatarme, mi hermano me soltó. Pedaleé unos cuantos metros antes de darme cuenta de que iba solo. Cuando me di cuenta perdí todo el equilibrio y fui a parar a la acera.
Fue mi primera caída en bicicleta, la cual nunca olvidaré. Pero mi deseo de poder montar hizo que lo intentara muchas veces más. Y aunque caí en innumerables ocasiones, siempre disfruté mi bicicleta, ella fue mi compañera durante mi niñez y juventud. Me pregunto qué hubiera pasado si la primera vez que me caí hubiera decidido no intentarlo nunca más. Mi vida no hubiera sido igual.
Siempre nos enfrentaremos con diferentes caídas, con momentos dolorosos que querrán obligarnos a no intentarlo nunca más. Y es que el dolor de algunas caídas es tan profundo que nuestra mente muchas veces evita volverlo a intentar.
Si has experimentado caídas fuertes, dolorosas, y crees que no vale la pena volverlo a intentar por miedo de lastimarte te digo: ¡Levántate! ¡Inténtalo otra vez! Caerás muchas veces, te golpearás, te dolerá. Pero levántate cuantas veces sea necesario. Porque Dios no te dejará solo.

Oración: Gracias Padre, por tus constantes cuidados, por tus muestras de amor para con nosotros. Hoy te pedimos que te mantengas a nuestro lado en cada mal paso que demos, ayudándonos a levantar. Amén.

No comments:

Post a Comment