Monday, March 31, 2014

Poems by Ted Loder and anonymous at end of SU VOZ January-March 2014

translator's note:  I was unable to reach the author, Ted Loder, to obtain his original composition in English.  I offer you my translation back into English of someone else's translation into Spanish.  With my humble apologies to the author.  As soon as he or someone sends me the original, it will replace the following. 

HELP ME TO BELIEVE IN BEGINNINGS
 God of History, Lord of my heart,
So much has happened to me in these days of turbulence;
I’ve known death and I’ve known birth;
I’ve been courageous and I’ve been fearful;
I’ve experienced pain and I’ve helped another;
I’ve been honest and I have been deceitful;
I’ve destroyed and I’ve created;
I’ve been among others and have felt alone;
I’ve been faithful and I’ve betrayed another;
I’ve been decisive and I’ve been indecisive;
I’ve laughed and I’ve cried.

You know my fragile heart,
And my frayed past
And today a new day begins.

Oh, God, help me to believe in new beginnings
Help me to begin anew
No matter how many times
I may have failed.

Help me to create new beginnings
To leave behind my tired mind
in search of fresh dreams
Boldly marking new paths
In the earth of the moment.
Help me to begin to forgive
That I may finally understand mercy;
To begin to discuss the unspeakable
In order to understand the truth
To begin self-control
In order to create beauty
To begin to sacrifice
In order to attain justice
To begin to assume risks
In order to attain peace
To begin to love
In order to make joy a reality

Help me to become a beginning for others
To be a singer for those without a song
A storyteller for those without direction
A friend to those without a friend
To begin a beginning of hope
For those in despair,
Of certainty for those who doubt
Of reconciliation for those who are divided
To become a beginner of freedom
For the oppressed
Of comfort for the afflicted
Of friendship for the forgotten

To begin to become a beginner of beauty
For those who have been abandoned,
Of sweetness for those who are bitter
Of tenderness for those who are angry
Of integrity for those who are broken
Of peace for the frightened and the violent of the earth.

Help me to believe in beginnings,  
To create a beginning
To become a beginning
So that I don’t just become old
But so that each day I become a new creature
In this frenzied and marvelous life.
You call me to live
With the passion of Jesus Christ

Author: Ted Loder





  AYÚDAME A CREER
EN COMIENZOS
 Dios de la Historia y de mi corazón,
Tanto me ha pasado en estos días de torbellino:
He conocido la muerte y el nacimiento;
He tenido valor y miedo:
He sentido dolor y he ayudado;
he sido honesto y he mentido;
he destruido y he creado;
he estado con gente y me he sentido solo;
he sido leal y he traicionado;
he sido decidido y he vacilado;
me he reído y he llorado.

Tu conoces mi corazón frágil
Y mi historia deshilachada
Y ahora comienza un nuevo día.

Oh Dios, ayúdame a creer en comienzos
Y a comenzar de nuevo,
Que no me importe cuantas veces
Haya fracasado.

Ayúdame a hacer comienzos:
A comenzar a salir de mi mente cansada
Hacia sueños frescos,
Atreviéndome a marcar nuevos pasos
En la tierra de ahora.
A comenzar a perdonar
A fin de conocer la misericordia;
A comenzar a cuestionar lo indiscutible
A fin de conocer la verdad;
A comenzar a disciplinarme
A fin de crear belleza;
a comenzar a sacrificar
A fin de alcanzar la justicia;
A comenzar a arriesgarme
A fin de hacer la paz;
A comenzar a amar
A fin de hacer realidad el gozo.

Ayúdame a ser un comienzo para otros,
Ser un cantante para los que no tienen un canto,
Un cuenta cuentos para los sin rumbo,
Un hacedor de amistad de los sin amigos,
A comenzar a ser un comienzo de esperanza
Para los desesperados,
De seguridad para los que dudan,
De reconciliación para los divididos;
Comenzar a ser un comienzo de libertad
Para los oprimidos,
De consuelo para los afligidos,
De amistad para los olvidados;
Comenzar a ser un comienzo de belleza
Para los abandonados,
De dulzura para los amargados,
De ternura para los airados,
De integridad para los quebrantados,
De paz para los atemorizados y violentos de la tierra.

Ayúdame a creer en comienzos,
A hacer un comienzo,
A ser un comienzo,
A fin de no sólo hacerme viejo
Sino hacerme nuevo cada día
En esta desenfrenada y maravillosa vida.
Tú me llamas a vivir
Con la pasión de Jesucristo.

Autor: Ted Loder

TOMORROW MAY BE TOO LATE

If you are angry with someone,
And no one does anything to fix the situation…
Fix it yourself. Perhaps today, that person is still willing to be your friend, but if you don’t fix it…tomorrow may be too late.
If you are in love with someone, but that
Person doesn’t know it…tell them
Perhaps today, that person is also in love with you, but if you don’t tell them today, tomorrow may be too late.    
If you still love someone who you think has forgotten you…tell them.
Perhaps that person has always loved you, but if you don’t tell them today…tomorrow may be too late. 
If you truly have friends that you appreciate…tell them today.
Perhaps they too appreciate you, but if they leave or if you are distanced from one another…tomorrow may be too late.
If you love your parents, and you’ve never had the opportunity to show them…do it.
Perhaps today, you have them with you in order to do so, but if they go away…tomorrow may be too late.


Tal vez mañana sea  muy tarde

Si estás enojado con alguien,
y nadie hace nada por arreglar la situación… 
arréglala tú. Tal vez hoy, esa persona todavía quiera ser tu amigo,  pero si no lo arreglas…  tal vez
mañana sea muy tarde

Si estás enamorado de alguien, pero esa
persona no lo sabe… díselo.
Tal vez hoy, esa persona también esté enamorada de ti, pero si no se lo dices hoy…  tal vez
mañana sea muy tarde

Si todavía amas a una persona que
crees que te ha olvidado.... díselo.
Tal vez esa persona siempre te ha amado, pero si no se lo dices hoy…  tal vez mañana sea muy tarde

Si de verdad tienes amigos a los cuales
aprecias... díselo hoy.
Tal vez ellos también te aprecien, pero si se van
o se alejan…  tal vez mañana sea muy tarde

Si quieres a tus papás, y nunca has
tenido la oportunidad de demostrárselo... hazlo.
Tal vez hoy, los tienes ahí para hacerlo, pero si se van… tal vez mañana sea muy tarde.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment