Saturday, February 20, 2021

 

Saturday, February 20

THE VERSE THAT SUMS UP THE WHOLE BIBLE

John 3:16-21

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.

John 3:16 (NRSV)

            I remember that in a visit to Germany in 1994, the Germans invited us to a lunch al fresco. Suddenly, the pastor in charge of the group of Cubans appeared and told me that at one of the tables there was a Cuban speaking in frank opposition to the Cuban government. I sat in front of him and asked him, “Have you read the Bible?” (I have read it three times.) “Can you tell me the central idea of the Bible?” He didn’t know what to say. When I cited the referenced verse, he got up and disappeared. The pastor asked me what I had said, and when I shared it with the host youth, they began to laugh.

            I must admit that I have never read Scripture from Genesis to Revelation, but I have heard many sermons which always state many things that I can share with others to “discern the good,” as Socrates said.

            God’s love and mercy are infinite. The Christian’s reality was, is, and will be in the promise of our Savior: In the world there will be sorrow, but have faith; I have overcome the world.

 

Prayer: Our Father, as the hymn says, all of your promises are powerful support of our faith. May your will be done in the mission you have assigned to us, and help us to love more, just as You do with us who are undeserving. We pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

Translated by John Potter

 

Febrero 20,  sábado

EL VERSO QUE RESUME TODA LA BIBLIA

Juan 3:16-21

Porque de tal manera amo Dios al mundo, que ha dado a su Unico Hijo, para que todo aquel que en El cree, no se pierda, mas tenga vida eterna

 

Juan 3:16

 

            Recuerdo que en una visita a Alemania, en 1994, los jóvenes alemanes nos invitaron a un almuerzo al aire libre. De pronto, se apareció el pastor a cargo del grupo de cubanos y me dijo que en una de las mesas había un cubano hablando en franca oposición al gobierno cubano. Me senté frente a él y le pregunté: ¿Ud. ha leído la Biblia? -La he leído tres veces. -¿Me pudiera decir la idea central de la Biblia? No supo qué responder. Cuando le dije el verso de referencia, se levantó y desapareció. El pastor me preguntó que le había dicho y lo compartió con los jóvenes anfitriones que comenzaron a reír.

 

            Tengo que admitir que nunca he leído las Sagradas Escrituras del Génesis al Apocalipsis, pero he escuchado tantos sermones que siempre se graban muchas cosas que puedo compartir con otros, para “discernir el bien”, como dijera Sócrates.

 

            El amor de Dios y Su misericordia son infinitos. La realidad del cristiano estuvo, está y estará en la promesa de nuestro Salvador:…en el mundo tendrán aflicción, mas confiad, yo he vencido al mundo.

 

Oración: Padre Nuestro, todas tus promesas son apoyo poderoso de nuestra fe como dice el himno. Hágase tu voluntad en la misión que nos has asignado, y ayúdanos a amarte más, así como Tú lo haces con nosotros sin merecerlo. Por Jesús. Amén

No comments:

Post a Comment