Friday, July 6, 2018

Friday, July 6 THE VALUE OF FRIENDSHIP 1 SAMUEL 1:1-4


Friday, July 6
THE VALUE OF FRIENDSHIP
1 SAMUEL 1:1-4

 A friend loves at all times,
and kinsfolk are born to share adversity.
Proverbs 17:17 (NRSV)
            True friendship is a treasure in our lives. In the times when selfishness and apathy are deeply entrenched in our lives, the value of real friendship is indescribable. David and Jonathan starred in a story of true friendship which escaped unscathed amid ambitions, power struggles, intrigues and other conflicts.
            Today I would invite you to reflect on an invitation from Charlie Chaplin:
I need someone to look me in the eye when I talk, who listens to my sadness and neuroses with patience and who, even when they don’t understand, respects my feelings. I need someone who comes to fight at my side without being called, someone who is a good enough friend to tell me the truth when I don’t want to hear it, even knowing that it will irritate me. Therefore, in this world of indifferent people, I need someone who believes in that mysterious, discredited, almost impossible thing: friendship. Someone who persists in being loyal, simple and fair. Who won’t leave if someday I become poor or can no longer be the life of the party. I need a friend who gratefully receives my extended hand, even when it is too little for his needs. I could not choose those who brought me into this world, but I can choose my friend. In this search I pawn my own soul because with a true friendship, life becomes richer and more beautiful.

Prayer: Friend God, allow us to be loyal to our friendships both in times of joy as well as in the difficult situations which face us. Allow us to accept your friendship and share that fraternal love with all of creation.


 Translation by John Potter


EL VALOR DE LA AMISTAD
1 SAMUEL 1:1-4

El amigo ama en todo momento;
en tiempos de angustia es como un hermano
Proverbios 17:17

La amistad verdadera es un tesoro en nuestra vida. En tiempos en los que el egoísmo y la apatía se establecen con fuerza en nuestras relaciones humanas, es indescriptible el valor de una amistad verdadera. David y Jonatan protagonizaron una historia de verdadera amistad, que pudo salir ilesa en medio de ambiciones, luchas de poder, intrigas y otros conflictos.

Les invito a reflexionar hoy en una invitación de Charles Chaplin: Necesito a alguien que me mire a los ojos cuando hablo. Que escuche mis tristezas y neurosis con paciencia y que, incluso cuando no comprenda, respete mis sentimientos. Necesito a alguien que venga a luchar a mi lado sin ser llamado. Alguien lo suficientemente amigo como para decirme las verdades que no quiero oír, aun sabiendo que puedo irritarme. Por eso, en este mundo de indiferentes, necesito a alguien que crea en esa cosa misteriosa, desacreditada, casi imposible: la amistad. Que se obstine en ser leal, simple y justo. Que no se vaya si algún día pierdo mi oro y no puedo ser más la sensación de la fiesta. Necesito un amigo que reciba con gratitud mi auxilio, mi mano, extendida, aun cuando eso sea muy poco para sus necesidades. No pude elegir a quienes me trajeron al mundo, pero puedo elegir a mi amigo. En esta búsqueda empeño mi propia alma, pues con una amistad verdadera, la vida se torna más rica y más bella.”

Oración: Dios amigo, permite que seamos leales a nuestras amistades tanto en los momentos de alegría como en las situaciones difíciles que deban enfrentar. Permite que aceptemos tu amistad y compartamos ese amor fraternal con toda tu creación.


No comments:

Post a Comment