Sunday, August 20, 2023

SUNDAY, AUGUST 20

LORD, HELP US!!

Matthew 15: 21-28

“Woman, great is your faith!. . . .”

Matthew 15: 28a (NRSV)

Reading today’s passage, I can identify with with this Canaanite woman who approached Jesus, asking for conpassion and begging for help, which Jesus apparently rejects because she is not Jewish. But the faith of that woman rose to the test: she recognized Jesus’ mission as prioritizing Israel, but she asked him to come closer to the gentiles. And for her great faith, he granted her petition.

I was not a Christian, nor did I believe in the God of Israel; at most I followed some other spiritual ritual. But that changed as I came to know and accept Jesus in my life. And it was not by chance but by necessity.

I heard about his miracles from the testimonies of those who had received him and I was uncertain if my request would be heard. I did not belong to His Church, but already I had the certainty that only He could heal me. For that reason I accepted the invitation to participate in a worship service for the sick; it was there for the first time that I sensed the presence of the Lord, and my life changed. In short order my health was restored.

 

Prayer: Lord, forgive us and hear our pleas. Amen.

 

Translation by John Potter

 

DOMINGO, 20 DE AGOSTO

¡SEÑOR, AYUDANOS!

Mateo 15: 21-28

¡Mujer, qué grande es tu fe! contestó Jesús

Mateo 15: 28a

Leyendo el pasaje de hoy, me identifico con esa mujer cananea que se acerca a Jesús, le implora compasión y le suplica ayuda; a la que, aparentemente, Jesús rechaza por no ser judia. Pero la fe de aquella mujer se elevó tanto como la prueba: reconocia la prioridad de la misión de Jesús hacia Israel, pero le pidió acercarse a los gentiles. Y por su gran fe Jesús le concede su petición.

Yo no era cristiano, ni creia en el Dios de Israel; cuando más seguia algún que otro ritual espiritual. Pero eso fue cambiando a medida en que conoci y acepté a Jesús en mi vida. Y no fue por casualidad sino por necesidad.

Escuché de sus milagros por los testimonios de quienes lo habian recibido y vivi la incertidumbre de si seria escuchada mi petición. No era de su Iglesia, pero ya tenia la certeza de que sólo Él podia sanarme. Por eso acepté una invitación para participar en un culto de oración por los enfermos, y fue alli donde por primera vez senti la presencia del Señor y mi vida cambió. En poco tiempo mi salud se restauró.

 

Oración: Señor, perdónanos y escucha nuestros ruegos. Amén.

No comments:

Post a Comment