Monday, February 2, 2015

Monday, February 2 GESTURES OF SOLIDARITY PROVERBS 16:5-20

Monday, February 2
GESTURES OF SOLIDARITY
PROVERBS 16:5-20

“Better a little with righteousness
Than much gain with injustice.”
Proverbs 16:8

Recently during a devotional time a sister in our congregation, one of the most helpful, told us the following story:

A few days ago I left the house early because I had an appointment at the dental clinic.  As I was crossing the threshold, I ran into a man who always comes to visit me in the morning.  He is a very humble man with whom I share a cup of coffee every morning, but since I was in a hurry on that occasion, I didn’t want to go back inside to the kitchen and I tried to dismiss him with the excuse that I didn’t have any of the valuable liquid. After taking a few steps, I heard someone calling me and when I turned around, there stood my neighbor saying to me: look, they gave me two pesos, come back so I can buy you a coffee. I was so moved! Between tears I discovered God’s message:  his poverty was turned into riches through his sharing and my haste was cancelled out by this lesson of solidarity.

This is what happens on occasion: we learn God’s proffered message of love and solidarity through a person from whom we least expect it. Let us be attentive to God’s signs in the voice and gestures of humble people.  Let us have the sensitivity to receive these signs in the midst of our haste and concerns.


Prayer: Lord of time, grant that we may discover your signs in the face of those who are humble. Amen.

GESTOS DE SOLIDARIDAD
PROVERBIOS 16:5-20

“Es mejor lo poco del justo que los muchos frutos del injusto”
Proverbios 16:8

Recientemente en un espacio devocional una hermana de la congregación, de las más serviciales que conozco, contó la siguiente historia:
Hace unos días salí temprano de la casa porque tenía un turno en la clínica dental. Al cruzar el umbral de la puerta tropecé con un señor que siempre me visita en las mañanas. Él es un hombre muy humilde con el que comparto cada mañana una taza de café, pero como estaba apurada en esta ocasión no quise regresar a la cocina y traté de despedirlo con la disculpa de que no tenía el preciado líquido. Al caminar unos pasos, sentí que me llamaban y cuando me voltee allí estaba mi vecino que me dijo: mira, me regalaron dos pesos, ven para comprarte un café. Me emocioné mucho y entre lágrimas descubrí el mensaje de Dios: su pobreza se transformó en la riqueza del compartir y mi prisa fue anulada por esta lección de solidaridad.
Así sucede en ocasiones, de quién menos esperamos aprendemos el mensaje de amor y solidaridad que Dios nos ofrece. Estemos atentos a las señales de Dios en la voz y en los gestos de los humildes. Tengamos la sensibilidad para recibir estas señales en medio de nuestras prisas y ocupaciones.

Oración: Permite Señor del tiempo, que podamos descubrir tus señales en el rostro de los humildes. Amén

No comments:

Post a Comment