Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sunday, July 23 “I KNEW IT” John 9:35-41

Sunday, July 23
“I KNEW IT”
JOHN 9:35-41
Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would not have sin. 
But now that you say, ‘We see’, your sin remains.”
John 9:41 NRSV

“I knew that it was going to end up like this!”  How many times have we heard or said this phrase in our daily life?

I ask myself, “Why do we know so much and do so little?”  We all know it, but we do nothing to prevent misfortunes from becoming realities.  

Many times, we condemn other people for their lifestyle, for what they have done, or for what they do.  We condemn, but at times we do nothing.  We don’t offer help—on the contrary, we wash our hands of the situation and, to make matters worse, we judge others. 

You are to blame, says Jesus.  Whoever sees something evil, an injustice committed, and does not act, help or halt it, is complicit.  The Christian life keeps us from living like the three monkeys who hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil.

God invites us always to commit ourselves to act for justice.  If “we know it,” then we need to do something. 

Prayer:  Lord, I ask you to keep me from falling into the sin of living with my eyes closed to the evil around me.  Let me live attentively and responsibly regarding each situation around me.  Amen.


Translation by Deborah McEachran

“YO LO SABÍA”
JUAN 9:35-41

Jesús les contestó: Si ustedes fueran ciegos, no tendrían culpa de sus pecados. Pero como dicen que ven, son culpables.
Juan 9:41

“Yo sabía que esto iba a terminar así” ¡Cuántas veces escuchamos o repetimos esta frase en la vida diaria!

Yo me pregunto ¿Por qué sabemos tanto y hacemos tan poco? Todos lo sabíamos, pero nadie hizo nada para prevenir que la desgracia se hiciera realidad.

Muchas veces condenamos a otras personas por su estilo de vida, por lo que hicieron, o por lo que hacen. Condenamos, pero a la vez no hacemos nada. No ofrecemos ayuda, al contrario: nos lavamos las manos y para colmo, juzgamos a los demás.

Son culpables, dice Jesús. Quien ve algún mal, una injusticia y no actúa, ayuda o impide, se hace cómplice. La vida cristiana impide actuar como los tres monos que se niegan a escuchar, a ver o a decir.

Dios nos invita siempre a comprometernos y a actuar por la justicia. Si “lo sabemos”, pues hagamos algo.


Oración: Señor, te pido no me dejes caer en el pecado de vivir con los ojos cerrados ante el mal que me rodea. Permite que pueda vivir atenta y responsablemente ante cada situación a mi alrededor. Amén.




No comments:

Post a Comment