Wednesday, June 23, 2021

 Wednesday, June 23

WATER AND FIRE

Isaiah 43:1-7

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.

Isaiah 43:2 (NRSV)

            I was going through difficult times, and I confided in my friends. Although the majority of the people with whom I spoke listened to me and supported me with their prayers, a man suggested that perhaps I had not understood God’s direction or had not accepted God’s sustaining grace, and that I bore the responsibility for my struggle. His comments added to my pain, but also led me to examine my heart.

            Negligence and foolishness can bring unnecessary trials. However, God assures us that confronting difficult situations does not mean that we have committed an error, nor does experiencing difficulty or pain mean that we have been mistaken about God’s direction. God tells us, “If you depend on me, you will never feel the heat of the flames nor struggle agains the deep waters.” God recognizes that we confront difficult situations when he says to us, “When you pass through the waters . . . . When you pass through the fire . . . .” Difficult situations are a part of life.

            When we confront difficulties, God is with us. In the fiery furnace, in the streams of water, God is with us, sustaining us, strengthening us, and keeping us.

 

Prayer: God, thank you that you understand our difficulties. Thank you for your constant presence and strength. Amen.

 

Translation by John Potter

 

Junio 23,  miércoles

AGUA Y FUEGO

Isaías 43:1-7

Cuando pases por las aguas, yo estaré contigo; y si por los ríos, no te anegarán. Cuando pases por el fuego, no te quemaráás ni la llama arderáá en ti.

Is. 43:2

            Pasaba por circunstancias difíciles y me confié a mis amistades. Aunque la mayoría de las personas con quienes hablé me entendieron y apoyaron con sus oraciones, un hombre sugirió que quizás yo no había entendido la dirección de Dios o no había aceptado su gracia sustentadora; y que yo tenía la culpa de mi lucha. Su comentario se sumó a mi aflicción, pero también me llevó a examinar mi corazón.

            La negligencia y la insensatez pueden traernos pruebas innecesarias. Sin embargo, Dios nos asegura que el enfrentar situaciones difíciles no significa que hayamos cometido un error; como tampoco el experimentar incomodidad o dolor indica que nos hayamos equivocado sobre la dirección de Dios. Dios no nos dice: “Si dependen de mí, jamás sentirán el calor de las llamas ni batallarán contra las aguas profundas”. Dios reconoce que nos enfrentaremos con situaciones difíciles al decirnos: “Cuando pases por las aguas… Cuando pases por el fuego…” Las situaciones difíciles son parte de la vida.

            Cuando enfrentamos dificultades, Dios está con nosotros. En el horno de fuego, en las corrientes de agua, Dios está con nosotros, sosteniéndonos, fortaleciéndonos, y guardándonos.

 

Oración: Gracias, oh Dios, pues entiendes nuestras dificultades. Gracias por tu constante presencia y fortaleza. Amén.

No comments:

Post a Comment