Monday, May 29, 2023

MAY 29

OBSTACLES OF CHRISTIANS

John 18:12-27

Again Peter denied it, and at that moment a rooster began to crow

John 18:27 (NIV)

My family and I live in the country and on many a sunrise we have been surprised by the crowing of the rooster announcing a new day. For the most part that is something we have become accustomed to, so I never pay more attention to it than necessary. But ever since I read this text, I can’t stop thinking about what Peter must have felt.

In those times, declaring oneself a follower of Jesus implied running risks, even danger to one’s own life. To this day, even though we have more freedom, in many countries there are many people who suffer in various ways for calling themselves Christians. 

Let us reflect for a moment whether each of us in our communities and as individuals, might also face obstacles that come our way every day because we call ourselves Christians. I invite you to end the meditation with this anonymous prayer that I once had the opportunity to read. I hope that you can make it your own and at the same time reflect on the message it holds for each one of us.

 

Prayer: “Lord, give me this day, faith to go forward, greatness of spirit to forgive, patience to understand and wait, willpower to not fall, strength to lift myself up if I am down, love to give. Give me what I need and not what I want, give me eloquence to say what I need to say. Make me an instrument of your will, make me strong to take the blows that life gives me. Let me know what you want from me. Give me your peace so that I can share it with those that do not have it. And lastly, walk with me and let me know that it is so. Amen.”

 

Translation by Susan Metcalf Smith

 

MAYO 29

OBSTÁCULOS DE LOS CRISTIANOS

Juan 18:12-27

Pedro lo negó otra vez, y en ese mismo instante cantó el gallo

Juan 18:27

Mi familia y yo vivimos en el campo y en muchos amaneceres nos ha sorprendido el canto del gallo anunciando un nuevo día. Por lo tanto eso es algo a lo que estamos adaptados, así que nunca le había puesto más atención que la necesaria. Pero desde que leí este texto, no puedo dejar de pensar en qué habrá sentido Pedro.

En aquellos tiempos, declararse seguidor de Jesús implicaba correr riesgos, peligro incluso para la propia vida. Hasta el día de hoy a pesar de que tenemos más libertad, en varios países existen muchas personas que padecen de diversas maneras por llamarse cristianos.

Reflexionemos por un momento si cada uno de nosotros en nuestras comunidades y como individuos, también enfrentamos obstáculos que se nos presentan cada día por llamarnos cristianos. Les invito a terminar la meditación junto a esta oración anónima que leí en una oportunidad y espero que puedan hacerla suya y a la vez reflexionar sobre el mensaje que guarda para cada uno de nosotros.

 

Oración: “Señor, dame en el día de hoy fe para seguir adelante, grandeza de espíritu para perdonar, paciencia para comprender y esperar, voluntad para no caer, fuerza para levantarme si estoy caído, amor para dar. Dame lo que necesito y no lo que quiero, dame elocuencia para decir lo que debo decir. Haz de mí un instrumento de tu voluntad, hazme fuerte para recibir los golpes que me da la vida. Déjame saber qué es lo que tú quieres de mí. Déjame tu paz para que la comparta con quien no la tenga. Y por último, anda conmigo y déjame saber que es así. Amén.”

No comments:

Post a Comment