Sunday, January 13, 2019

Sunday, January 13 MYSTERIES OF GOD ROMANS 11:36


Sunday, January 13
MYSTERIES OF GOD
ROMANS 11:36

The Lord is my shepherd, I will lack nothing. (NIV)
 Psalm 23: 1

Some time ago I met a person who showed me how great the “mysteries of God” are.  Miguel, the only son of a faithful Christian home, grew up running around the rooms of the church, hearing his father and mother preach and pray. He attended Sunday school weekly as a child and was educated at a famous Presbyterian school.

Like many Christians in Cuba, Miguel abandoned his faith in the beginning years of his youth. When I met him again he was already an adult. I didn’t know his personal history; to me he was a good man, studious and a history lover, homeowner and friendly. But he declared himself totally incredulous. When he learned I was studying at a seminary he invited me to his house. He told me of his evangelic origin and the reasons for having abandoned the faith. He showed and gave me many Christian books he had kept.

Years later, when Miguel was old, I went to see him, because it surprised me to hear that he visited one of our churches on a weekly basis.  

“I go because there is great peace there; the sanctuary is very beautiful, and I’m thankful for the love with which I’m received,” he said.

“And your faith?” I asked.

He answered, “I believe I lost it some time ago, but it does me good to go there because it reminds me of my parents and my childhood.”



Miguel continued visiting the church until his health became weaker.  Later they told me that every day he asked them to read him some Bible passage and he recited Psalm 23. His memory, which had erased many stages of his life, remembered the complete Psalm that he assuredly learned in his childhood. He recited it in a broken voice, and finished it happily, like someone who had done a great deed.  Later he smiled…

It’s difficult for me to theologically explain if, in some way or another during his latter church attendance, Miguel experienced the process we call conversion, or return to the faith he knew as a child. It inspires me to think that the renewed and senile faith, despite his having lived a life apart from God, was also legitimate.  Now I believe that, in the understanding we all have of faith and salvation, there are mysteries far beyond our understanding.  

Prayer:  Our God, may we be able to continue in your ways with a firm step, and that the Mystery that encloses your presence is revealed to us day by day through your works. Amen. 



Translation by John Walter



MISTERIOS DE DIOS
ROMANOS 11:36
El Señor es mi Pastor, nada me faltará.
 Salmo 23: 1
Hace algún tiempo conocí a una persona que me mostró cuán grande son los “Misterios de Dios”. Miguel, único hijo de un fiel hogar cristiano, creció corriendo en los salones de la iglesia, escuchando predicar y orar a su padre y a su madre. De niño asistió semanalmente a la escuela dominical y se educó en un famoso colegio presbiteriano. Al igual que muchos cristianos en Cuba, Miguel abandonó la fe en los primeros años de su juventud.

Cuando le conocí ya era adulto y desconocía su historia personal. Para mí, él era un hombre de bien, estudioso y amante de la historia, casero y familiar, pero se declaraba totalmente incrédulo.  Cuando supo que yo estudiaba en un Seminario, me invitó a su casa. Me contó su origen evangélico y las razones por las que abandonó la fe. Me enseñó y me regaló muchos libros cristianos que aún conservaba. Años más tarde, cuando Miguel ya era anciano, fui a verlo, pues me sorprendió escuchar que visitaba semanalmente una de nuestras iglesias: —Voy porque allí hay mucha paz, el templo es muy hermoso y me agrada el amor con que me reciben-me dijo.
— ¿Y la fe? —le pregunté. Él contestó: —Creo que esa la perdí hace tiempo, pero me hace bien ir allí, porque me recuerda a mis padres y mi niñez.

Miguel continuó visitando la iglesia hasta que su salud se debilitó. Luego me contaron que todos los días pedía que le leyeran algún pasaje bíblico y recitaba el Salmo 23.  Su memoria, que había borrado muchas etapas de su vida, recordaba el Salmo completo que de seguro aprendió en su niñez. Lo recitaba con voz entrecortada y terminaba feliz como quien realizara una hazaña. Luego sonreía…

Me es difícil explicar teológicamente si Miguel de algún modo experimentó durante su tardía asistencia a la iglesia el proceso que llamamos conversión o el retorno a la fe que conoció cuando niño. Me anima pensar que la fe renovada y senil de Miguel, a pesar de haber vivido una vida alejada de Dios, fue también legítima. Hoy creo que en la comprensión que todos tenemos de la fe y la salvación hay también misterios más allá de nuestro entendimiento.


Oración: Dios nuestro, permite que podamos seguir con paso firme en tus caminos y que el Misterio que encierra tu presencia se nos revele día a día a través de tus obras. Amén.

No comments:

Post a Comment