Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Tuesday, April 16 OUR HANDS ISAIAH 65: 17-22


Tuesday, April 16
OUR HANDS

ISAIAH 65: 17-22
But now, Lord, you are our father.  We are the clay, and you are our potter.  
All of us are the work of your hand.  
Isaiah 64:8 (CEB)

Recently I attended the opening of an art show by the Muslim artist Jorge Elias Gil.  In each work he showed hands as the protagonists of “Our actions”.  Praying hands, caring hands, sustaining hands, farmer hands appeared like a challenge to rethink the uses for our hands.  That day I recognized that I am useful and creative through my hands.  I had made sweet breads for my family and a knitted wallet for my daughter.  Even so, I was pleased but not satisfied.  Every day we should ask ourselves “What have I done with my hands?  To whom have I shown affection?  What have I offered through my hands?”  We should also ask, “Who has helped me with his or her hand? Who has extended their hand as a loving sign, a poem, an authentic friendship?”

The text tells us that we are God’s work.  God’s hands have shaped us.  This is a beautiful image that invites us also to shape good works with our hands.  We are the image of the living God.  Let us use our hands to create, shape, accompany, sustain and give life.  At the same time let us allow ourselves to be shaped by God’s hands, for God’s work is always perfect.  

Prayer:  We ask you, o God, that we may use our hands to further your kingdom, so that all the community can enjoy the work of our hands, which are ready to serve the most vulnerable ones.  May our hands work together with yours to create a new heaven and new earth!  Amen.  

Translated by Deborah McEachran


NUESTRAS MANOS

ISAÍAS 65: 17-22
A pesar de todo, Señor, tú eres nuestro Padre; nosotros somos el barro, y tú el alfarero. Todos somos obra de tu mano.
Isaías 64:8

Recientemente asistí a la apertura de una exposición de artes plásticas del artista musulmán Jorge Elías Gil. En cada obra mostraba las manos como protagonistas de “Nuestras acciones”. Manos orantes, manos cuidadoras, sostenedoras o cultivadoras aparecían como un desafío a repensar el uso que damos a nuestras manos. Ese día me reconocí útil y creativa a través de mis manos. Había hecho un pan dulce para mi familia y una cartera tejida para mi hija. Aún así, estaba complacida pero no satisfecha. Cada día debemos preguntarnos ¿qué he hecho con mis manos? ¿a quién he mostrado afecto? ¿qué he brindado a través de mis manos? o por otra parte ¿Quién me ha sostenido con su mano? ¿Quién me ha extendido su mano como una señal amorosa, un verso, una amistad auténtica?

El texto nos dice que somos obra de Dios. Sus manos nos han modelado. Esta es una imagen hermosa que nos invita a modelar también nosotros buenas obras con nuestras manos. Somos imagen del Dios vivo. Usemos nuestras manos para crear, modelar, acompañar, sostener y dar vida. A su vez dejémonos modelar por las manos de Dios, pues su obra es siempre perfecta.

Oración: Te pedimos, oh Dios, que usemos nuestras manos para colaborar con tu reino, que toda la comunidad pueda disfrutar del trabajo de nuestras manos, que estén prestas a servir a los más vulnerables. ¡Qué nuestras manos sean colaboradoras junto a las tuyas en la creación de un nuevo cielo y una nueva tierra!

No comments:

Post a Comment