Monday, October 10, 2016

Monday, October 10 Presbytery Conferences. Grito de Yara NOW I GET IT JAMES 5:15-20

Monday, October 10
Presbytery Conferences. Grito de Yara

NOW I GET IT
JAMES 5:15-20

Remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins. 
James 5:20

As a boy I was taught among other things the importance of a good deed. These consisted in performing acts of generosity, such as picking up papers strewn in the street, caring for plants and animals, helping the elderly to cross the street, giving thanks and asking for good things, among other things. I liked this very much. While I was walking along the streets in my town I saw a dog that was lying down and couldn’t move. It was injured; it had been run over and both of its legs were broken.  I saw a great opportunity to do a good deed and decided to rescue the little dog and to take him to the veterinarian.  I was doing it with much love, but the little animal clamped his teeth down on my hands.  I was immediately taken to the hospital and was given an injection for rabies, but the vaccination did not take away the rabies produced by the bite. 

For a long time, I couldn’t understand why the dog had bitten me if all I wanted to do was to save it, to help it. This was the first disappointment I suffered on account of trying to do a good deed. Unfortunately it was not the last. Many years went by before I understood that it was not the dog that had bitten me, but rather his injury.  When someone is angry, resentful or is not at peace, he bites, but he doesn’t sink his teeth in us. This is how I was much better able to help people; when they had some upset and yelled at me, offended me or wounded me, I began to understand that they had done it only because they were injured in their souls. I then learned not to become defensive with them or to criticize them, but rather to draw closer to them and to help them.

Prayer: Today I pray, Lord, especially for those who are living with resentment, bitterness, and without peace. Help me to reach out to them, approach them and above all, to help them. Amen.


Translation by Elisa Menocal

Convenciones Presbiterales. Grito de Yara

AHORA LO ENTIENDO
SANTIAGO 5: 15-20
Sepa que el que haga volver al pecador del error  de su camino,
salvará de muerte un alma y cubrirá multitud de pecados
Santiago5:20

Siendo niño me enseñaron entre otras cosas la importancia de la buena acción, que consistía en realizar actos generosos, como recoger papeles tirados en la calle, cuidar las plantas y los animales, ayudar a los ancianos a cruzar la calle, dar las gracias y pedir las cosas de favor, entre otras. Esto me gustaba mucho. Un día caminando por las calles de mi pueblo vi un perrito tirado sin poder moverse. Estaba herido, había sido atropellado y tenía dos paticas rotas. Allí vi una gran oportunidad de hacer una buena acción y me dispuse a rescatar al perrito para llevarlo al veterinario. Lo estaba haciendo con mucho amor, pero el animalito me clavó los dientes en las manos. Inmediatamente me llevaron al hospital y me inyectaron contra la rabia, aunque la rabia por la mordida no se me quitó con la vacuna.
Durante mucho tiempo no entendí por qué el perro me había mordido si yo solo quería salvarlo, ayudarlo. Esta fue la primera decepción que sufrí al tratar de hacer el bien. Desgraciadamente no fue la única. Pasaron muchos años hasta que vi que el perro no me mordió, sino que fue su herida. Cuando alguien está  bravo, resentido o no tiene paz, muerde, pero no hunde sus dientes. Así comprendí mucho mejor a las personas; cuando estas tenían algún malestar y me gritaban, me ofendían o me hacían daño, comencé a pensar que no lo hacían porque sí, sino por que estaban heridos del alma. Aprendí entonces a no ponerme a la defensiva con ellos o a criticarlos, sino más bien a acercarme a ellos y ayudarlos.

Oración: Hoy te pido, Señor, especialmente por esas personas que viven la vida resentidos, amargados, y sin paz. Permíteme llegar hasta ellos, acercarme y sobre todo ayudarlos. Amén.





No comments:

Post a Comment