Saturday, January 20, 2018

Saturday, January 20 “NOT EVERYTHING IS HELPFUL” I Corinthians 6:12-20

Saturday, January 20
“NOT EVERYTHING IS HELPFUL”
I CorintHIANS 6:12-20

I have the freedom to do anything, but not everything is helpful.
I have the freedom to do anything,
but I won’t be controlled by anything.
I Corinthians 6:12 (CEB)

Since I was little I loved the smell of boiling milk, and to hear the steps of my mother coming toward my bed with the pitcher of milk with coffee.  These are wonderful memories that I have well-guarded in my mind.  Growing up, I began to have stomach problems, and it was discovered that it was lactose intolerance.  Even today I am drawn to milk, but I know how much damage it does to me, so of course I abstain from it. 

At times we know that our bodies or our minds, or all our beings are not ready to receive a particular item.  Nevertheless, we insist, knowing that it is not good for us.  When we have ingested, handled or tried something unhealthy, this causes us much damage. 

Unfortunately, many times we only speak of negative or bad attitudes when we are referring to sexual relations.  But, what about ingesting damaging foods or relating ourselves to people in a petty or damaging way, despite this behavior being acceptable?

Prayer:  Lord, permit me to discern what is good for me, and what is good for my body/my mind/my soul.  Permit me with all my being to be a temple for your spirit, that my relationships will be consistent with your love.  Amen. 



Translation by Deborah McEachran



“no todas convienen”
I Corintios 6:12-20

Todas las cosas me son lícitas, pero no todas convienen;
todas las cosas me son lícitas, pero yo
no me dejaré dominar por ninguna…
I Corintios 6:12

Desde pequeña me gustaba sentir el olor a la leche hervida, y también sentir los pasos de mi mamá aproximándose a mi cama con el pomo de leche con café. Estas son gratas memorias que tengo bien guardadas en mi mente. Al crecer comencé a tener problemas estomacales, hasta que se descubrió que era intolerante a la lactosa. Aún hoy me apetece la leche, pero sé cuánto daño me hace, y por supuesto, me abstengo a ella. 

A veces sabemos que nuestros cuerpos/nuestra mente, o todo nuestro ser no está listo para recibir cualquier cosa. Sin embargo, insistimos, sabiendo que no nos conviene. Cuando hemos “ingerido,” “manipulado,” o “tratado” algo no bueno, esto nos ha causado mucho daño.
Desdichadamente muchas veces solo se habla de actitudes negativas y malas cuando está implícito el tema de las relaciones sexuales. Pero ¿qué tal el ingerir alimentos dañinos, o el relacionarnos con otras personas de forma mezquina y dañina, por muy aceptables que estas relaciones sean?

Oración: Señor permite que pueda discernir lo que me es bueno, y lo que hace bien para mi cuerpo/mi mente/mi alma. Permite que, con todo mi ser, pueda ser templo de tu espíritu, que mis relaciones estén en consonancia con tu amor.


No comments:

Post a Comment