Thursday, December 27, 2018

Thursday, December 27 LET US ALWAYS LIVE TO SERVE MARK 10:35-45


Thursday, December 27
LET US ALWAYS LIVE TO SERVE
MARK 10:35-45

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served,
but to serve, and to give his life for many.
Mark 10:45 (NIV)

I was standing on a corner in Havana, next to a Mexican friend of mine who was wearing a white guayabera, white slacks, and white shoes. We were talking when we both looked at the street at the same time and saw a man whose car had broken down, trying to push it himself to the nearest curb.

At once my friend stopped talking to me, gave me his briefcase, and quickly went to help that humble man who needed assistance, and the two of them pushed the car to the nearest curb.

When he came back to me—for I had remained standing there and did nothing to help the man in need—I asked him why in the heat of the day had he, dressed in white, gone to push a car. He immediately replied: “My brother, a man who does not live to serve is not fit to live. My father taught me that many years ago, and every time I can, I try to apply it in my life.”

I’ll never forget the lesson I learned that afternoon, which I try to apply constantly in my life. If we all tried to apply it, we would live in a happier world.

Prayer: God of goodness and mercy, just as you became flesh in a baby to serve all of your creation, make us servers in this world.  Amen.


Translation by George Meek




VIVAMOS SIEMPRE PARA SERVIR
MARCOS 10:35-45

Porque el Hijo del Hombre no vino para ser servido,
sino para servir.
Marcos 10:45

Me encontraba parado en una esquina de La Habana, junto a un mexicano amigo mío, que vestía guayabera blanca, pantalones blancos y zapatos blancos. Estábamos conversando cuando de pronto ambos miramos al mismo tiempo a la calle y pudimos ver a un hombre a quien se le había roto el automóvil, tratando de empujarlo solo, para arrimarlo a la acera más próxima.

Sin pensarlo mi amigo me dejó de hablar, me entregó su portafolio y fue rápidamente a socorrer a aquel humilde hombre, y ambos lograron moverlo hasta la acera más próxima.

Cuando regresó, pues yo me quedé parado y no hice nada por socorrer a aquel hombre que necesitaba ayuda, le increpé que ¿cómo vestido todo de blanco y bajo un sol agotador se iba a poner a empujar un carro? A lo que él me contestó de inmediato: “Hermano mío, el hombre que no vive para servir, no sirve para vivir. Esto hace muchos años me lo enseñó mi padre y, siempre que puedo, trato de aplicarlo en mi vida”.

Todavía está en mis recuerdos la lección que recibí aquella tarde, lección que siempre estará en mi memoria y que trato constantemente de aplicar en mi vida. Qué bueno sería que todos aplicáramos esta experiencia en nuestras vidas, pues estoy seguro que, si todos así lo hiciéramos, viviríamos en un mundo aun  más feliz.

Oración: Dios de bondad y misericordia, así como tú te encarnaste en un niño para servir a toda tu creación, haznos servidores de este mundo.  Amén.


No comments:

Post a Comment