Sunday, January 17, 2021

 

 

Sunday, January 17

WHAT REALLY MATTERS

Matthew 7:21-29

            Some time ago I read about two friends who hadn’t seen each other in a long time. The one noted the change that had occurred in the other, and he asked to what was the change owed. “I got to know Christ,” he answered. “Now I am a new man,” The first friend said to him, “So you knew Jesus. Then you can tell me where he was born, where he lived, how old he was when he died, and a few other things.” The other replied, “Unfortunately, I can’t reply to those questions. I don’t know the answers.” “Then you don’t know anything about Jesus.” the first replied. “You lie. I know only one thing. I was an alcoholic. My life was a disaster. My family was afraid of me. Today everything is different. Jesus changed me, and that is what I know. I know that he can transform life. That is the only thing that really matters.”

            What certainty! Is that not true? At times like that people that I have known my whole Christian life come to mind–I think we all know people like that–who know how to recite the Bible chapter and verse who, I would say, would be perfect for a contest. But at the hour of true faith, true compassion, the commitment to work with the most humble and for them, they leave much to be desired. What is the most important for you? Knowing your Bible from memory, knowing a lot about Jesus’ public life (not a bad thing), or putting into practice what he asked that we do for those around us?

 

Prayer: Thank you, Jesus, for the miracle that you have performed in my life. Help me to understand what is the most important for our faith. Amen.

 

 

Translation by John Potter

 

Enero 17,  domingo

LO QUE REALMENTE IMPORTA

Mateo 7:21-29

            Hace algún tiempo leí sobre dos amigos  que hacía mucho tiempo no se veían. Uno de ellos percibió el cambio operado en la vida del otro, y le preguntó a qué se debía dicho cambio. “Conocí a Jesús” –le contestó-. “Ahora soy hombre nuevo”. El otro amigo le dice: “Así que conociste a Jesús. Entonces me puedes contar dónde nació, dónde vivía, qué edad tenía cuando murió, y algunas cosas más”. El otro amigo le dijo: “Lamentablemente no te puedo contestar esas preguntas. No sé las respuestas.” -”Entonces no sabes nada de Jesús” le dijo el amigo. Y este contestó: “Te equivocas. Una sola cosa sé. Yo era  un alcohólico. Mi vida era un desastre. Mi familia me tenía miedo. Hoy todo es distinto. Jesús me cambió. Ya no bebo. Disfruto junto a mis seres queridos. Trabajo honradamente. Todo eso gracias a Cristo, y eso es lo que sé. Sé que puede transformar una vida.  Eso es lo que realmente importa”.

            ¡Cuán cierto! ¿Verdad? A mi mente vieneN en estos momentos personas que he conocido a lo largo de mi vida cristiana (creo que todos hemos conocido algunas personas así) que saben recitar la Biblia de punta a cabo, estarían perfectos para un concurso, diría yo. Pero a la hora de la verdadera fe, la verdadera compasión, el compromiso a trabajar con los más humildes y para ellos, dejan mucho que desear. ¿Qué es más importante para ti? ¿Saberte la Biblia de memoria, saber muchas de las cosas de la vida pública de Jesús (que no está mal saberlas), o poner en práctica lo que Él nos pidió que hiciéramos por los demás?

 

Oración: Señor Jesús, gracias por el milagro que has hecho en mi vida. Ayúdame a comprender qué es lo más importante para nuestra fe. Amén.

No comments:

Post a Comment