Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Tuesday, November 23

MYSTERIES OF GOD

Romans 11:36

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

Psalm 23: 1 (NRSV)

            Some time ago I knew a person who somehow showed me how great the “mysteries of God” are. He was the only son of a fervent Christian. He grew up running around in the church halls, listening to his father preach and observing the prayers of his mother. From childhood he attended Sunday School each week and was educated in a well know Presbyterian school. Like many people in Cuba, he abandoned his faith in the early years of his youth. When I met him, he was already an adult; I didn’t know his personal history. To me, he was a good man, studious and a lover of history, a family man, and he declared his total disbelief. When he knew that I was studying theology, he invited me to his house. He told me of his evangelical origin and his reasons for abandoning the faith. He showed me many Christian books that he still kept, and he told me, “Take what you want, because they don’t mean anything to me anymore.” Years later, when I was old, I came to see him, becasue it surprised me to hear that he was visiting one of our churches every week. He told me, “I go because there is so much peace there, and I was pleased by the love with which they received me.” “And faith?” I asked. “I believe that I lost it a long time ago, but it does me good because I remember my parents and my childhood.” His family members later told me that every day he asked to be read a biblical passage and he recited Psalm 23. He recited it in a breathy voice and always finished, happy as if he had accomplished a feat, repeating the final words, “I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.”

 

Prayer: Our father, may the mystery of your presence and your works be revealed to us day by day through our experiences.

 

Translation by John Potter

 

 

Noviembre 23, martes

MISTERIOS DE DIOS

Romanos 11:36

El Señor es mi Pastor, nada me faltará.

Salmo 23: 1

Hace algún tiempo conocí a una persona que de alguna manera me mostró cuán grandes son los “misterios de Dios”. Fue el único hijo de un ferviente cristiano. Creció corriendo en los salones de la iglesia, escuchando predicar a su padre y observando las oraciones de su madre. De niño asistió semanalmente a la escuela dominical y se educó en un famoso colegio presbiteriano. Al igual que muchos cristianos en Cuba, abandonó la fe en los primeros años de su juventud. Cuando le conocí¡ ya era adulto, yo desconocía su historia personal. Para mí, él era un hombre de bien, estudioso y amante de la historia, hombre de familia, y se declaraba totalmente incrédulo. Cuando supo que yo estudiaba Teología, me invitó a su casa. Me contó su origen evangélico y las razones por las que abandonó la fe. Me enseñó muchos libros cristianos que aú£n conservaba, y me dijo: "Llévate los que desees, ya para mí no significan nada." Años más tarde, cuando ya era anciano, fui a verlo porque me sorprendió escuchar que visitaba semanalmente una de nuestras iglesias. Me dijo. "Voy porque allí hay mucha paz, y me agrada el amor con que me reciben." "¿Y la fe?" le pregunté, a lo cual contestó: "Creo que esa la perdí hace tiempo, pero me hace bien porque me recuerda a mis padres y mi niñez". Sus familiares me contaron después que todos los días pedía que le leyeran algún pasaje bíblico y recitaba el Salmo 23. Lo recitaba con voz entrecortada y terminaba siempre, feliz como quien realizara una hazaña, repitiendo las palabras finales: En la casa del Señor moraré por largos días…

 

Oración: Padre nuestro, que el misterio que encierra tu presencia y tus obras se nos revele día a día a través de las experiencias que podemos tener. Amén.

No comments:

Post a Comment