Monday, August 15, 2016

Monday, August 15 DADDY, I WANT TO BE LIKE YOU PROVERBS 22: 1-6

Monday, August 15
DADDY, I WANT TO BE LIKE YOU
PROVERBS 22: 1-6

Train children in the right way, and when they are old, they will not stray from it…

Proverbs 22:6

Let me share a story for your reflection:

I couldn’t be present when my son was born; I had a trip to go on and many obligations. My son learned to eat when I wasn’t there; he learned to speak when I wasn’t there. Whenever I came home from a trip, I would say, “How fast my boy is growing!” And time marched on.

My son was always saying to me “Daddy, I want to be like you. Can we play now?”
“Son, I can’t; I have a meeting.”

When my son turned ten, I gave him a nice gift, and he said to me, “Thanks, Daddy. Can we break in the new bat and ball and play?” “I can’t now, son; I have to go on a trip. Maybe when I get back we will play.”  He smiled and said, “It’s OK, Daddy. When I grow up, I want to be like you.”

My son graduated from the university and moved out of the house. I told him, “Son, I’m very proud. Let’s sit down and talk.”  Do you know what he said to me? “I can’t today, Dad. I have to go out with my friends.”

I’m retired now, and I have free time to spend with him. He’s married now, has two kids and doesn’t live with me. I miss him. Today I called him: “Hi, son, I want to see you.” “Dad, I’d love to, but I can’t. I don’t have the time: work, the house, the kids. But thanks for calling.”

Now I realize that my son is like me.
Prayer: Lord, teach us the best way to raise our children. Help us to always have time for them despite our many daily concerns. Amen.

Translated by John Potter


PAPÁ, QUIERO SER COMO TÚ
PROVERBIOS 22: 1-6

Instruye al niño en su camino y ni aun de viejo se apartará de él.

Proverbios 22:6

Comparto con ustedes una historia para reflexionar:
Cuando mi hijo nació yo no pude estar presente. Tenía un viaje  y muchos compromisos. Mi hijo aprendió a comer cuando yo no estaba, aprendió a hablar cuando yo no estaba. Siempre que volvía del trabajo yo decía: ¡Qué rápido crece  mi hijo! Y el tiempo fue pasando. Mi hijo crecía y siempre me decía: “Papá,  quiero ser como tú. ¿Podemos jugar ahora? “Ahora no puedo hijo, tengo que ir a una reunión”.  Mi hijo cumplió diez años, le hice un buen regalo y él me dijo: “Gracias papá. ¿Podemos estrenar el bate y la pelota jugando?” “ahora no puedo hijo, voy de viaje, pero cuando regrese jugaremos”. Se fue sonriendo y me dijo: “Está bien papá. Cuando sea grande quiero ser como tú”. Mi hijo se graduó de la universidad, y llegó a la casa. Yo le dije: Hijo, estoy muy orgulloso. Vamos a sentarnos  a conversar. ¿Saben qué me contestó? “Hoy no papá, tengo que salir con mis amistades”. Ya me jubilé, tengo tiempo libre para dedicarlo a él. Ya se casó, tiene dos niños, no vive conmigo. Lo extraño. Hoy lo llamé: “Hola hijo, quiero verte” Él me dijo: “Papá, yo quisiera pero no puedo, no tengo tiempo. El trabajo, la casa, los niños. Pero gracias por llamar”. Ahora me doy cuenta de que mi hijo es como yo.

Oración: Señor, instrúyenos en la mejor manera de educar a nuestros hijos. Ayúdanos a tener siempre tiempo para ellos, a pesar de nuestras ocupaciones diarias, que a veces son muchas. Amén.


No comments:

Post a Comment